[Sca-cooks] Scullery duty

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 22 18:11:52 PDT 2002

In an Medieval household, the functions we associate with the Steward of the
Feast were divided between the Cook, the Butler, the Pantler, the Almoner,
and the Marshal of the Hall (who was usually a senior knight).

It was the duty of the Cook to prepare the menus and present them to the
Clerk of the Wardrobe for review and funding.  Thus those who say that "just
being called cook is demeaning" have debased the term by their ignorance.

Bear