[Sca-cooks] weight of orange peel

r.carnegie at verizon.net r.carnegie at verizon.net
Mon Sep 23 08:40:32 PDT 2002

> From: "Olwen the Odd" <olwentheodd at hotmail.com>
> Date: 2002/09/23 Mon AM 09:17:28 EDT
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] weight of orange peel
>
> Good morning all.  Well, I got a California navel orange (not the kind with
> the really fat peel) and I peeled and scraped the skin.  It weighed just
> under an ounce.  I prepared the peel and dried it and rolled it in sugar
> and, surprize, it weighed the same.  So.  The answer to the question is,
> just shy of one ounce.  I would have thought it would weigh more after all
> the sugar was added.  I guess I never really thought how much the oils and

  Errr...is that how peels are candied pre 1600?   I ask because I do not know.  In the 18th century they are really candied, which is why I thought they would weigh more.  They are boiled in simple syrup and it is a very lengthy, and sometimes dangerous process.

Ranald de Balinhard,

R.Carnegie at verizon.net
"Argue for your limitations, and they are yours."
             R. Bach