[Sca-cooks] pot-lucks?

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Mon Sep 23 10:01:58 PDT 2002

Well, for the event I was head cook for this weekend, (I'll give a full
run-down when I get home tonight and have time to write it...) I was feeding
120 in a kitchen with ONE 4 burner stove / 1 oven.  So... I called out the
baronial crockpot brigade.  Basically, I started with the recipe from
Cariadoc's Miscellany for "The Lord's Salt" - salt, cinnamon, cloves, mace,
cardamom, ginger, breadcrumbs and vinegar, and used the spice mixture
without the breadcrumbs or vinegar to corn beef briskets in.  I think they
dry marinated for 2-3 days.  I then stuck them in crockpots, covered with
water, and left all the crockpots on low for about 8 hours... they turned
out *yummy*...and brisket is *cheap*, like 1.99/lb.
(I'm not sure of the exact amounts of salt/spices needed per brisket.  The
proportions were 2 parts cinnamon to 1 part of the rest of the spices, add a
bunch of salt - maybe 2-3 tbs. total spices per cup salt? Then try and cover
the brisket as thoroughly as possible with it...)

Generys