[Sca-cooks] weight of orange peel

Ron Carnegie r.carnegie at verizon.net
Mon Sep 23 11:32:25 PDT 2002

At 04:38 PM 9/23/02 +0000, you wrote:

>'prepared the peel', meaning, boiled it in simple syrup.  For one orange it
>was not a very lengthly process, only about 25 minutes till translucent,
>then drained, put in the dehydrator till lightly tacky then tossed in
>granulated sugar.  The only danger I can see from this is getting splashed
>with the syrup, which is not at all advisable.  Or burning up your pan
>because you boiled out the syrup.
>Olwen

\

   Sorry I didn't read prepared as boiling..  By prepared I thought you
meant peeling, cutting, and maybe the pre-soaking.  The boiling is candying.

   Splashed is what I meant by dangerous, as the syrup goes from simmering
to over boiling very FAST!!   Boiling syrup hurts, but you only usually make
that mistake once!

         As far as length, I meant length. All the receipts a can find show
the orange peels being soaked for several days prior to boiling, I suppose
this may have to do with oranges soaked in brine, but I have always followed
the reccomendation.  Boiling times are listed at about an hour not that
long. I have never used a deydrator in the process at all.

    Here at home my wife and I do have  a few pre-1600 receipts, usually
listed as "Preserving Oranges".  They are the same as the 18th century ones
that I am familiar with, though most use Rose water in the syrup and some
call for additional spices, one for wine.

Ranald de Balinhard,

Ron Carnegie
r.carnegie at verizon.net
	"The poetry of history lies in the quasi-miraculous fact that
	 once on this earth, on this familiar spot of ground walked
	 other men and women as actual as we are today, thinking
	 their own thoughts, swayed by their own passions but now
	 all gone, vanishing after another, gone as utterly as we
	 ourselves shall be gone like ghosts at cockcrow."
				G.M. Trevelyan