[Sca-cooks] weight of orange peel

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 23 09:38:18 PDT 2002

> > Good morning all.  Well, I got a California navel orange (not the kind
>with
> > the really fat peel) and I peeled and scraped the skin.  It weighed just
> > under an ounce.  I prepared the peel and dried it and rolled it in sugar
> > and, surprize, it weighed the same.  So.  The answer to the question is,
> > just shy of one ounce.  I would have thought it would weigh more after
>all
> > the sugar was added.  I guess I never really thought how much the oils
>and
>
>   Errr...is that how peels are candied pre 1600?   I ask because I do not
>know.  In the 18th century they are really candied, which is why I thought
>they would weigh more.  They are boiled in simple syrup and it is a very
>lengthy, and sometimes dangerous process.
>
>Ranald de Balinhard,

'prepared the peel', meaning, boiled it in simple syrup.  For one orange it
was not a very lengthly process, only about 25 minutes till translucent,
then drained, put in the dehydrator till lightly tacky then tossed in
granulated sugar.  The only danger I can see from this is getting splashed
with the syrup, which is not at all advisable.  Or burning up your pan
because you boiled out the syrup.
Olwen