[Sca-cooks] weight of orange peel

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 23 21:44:15 PDT 2002

Ranald de Balinhard asked:
>   Errr...is that how peels are candied pre 1600?   I ask because I do not k=
> now.  In the 18th century they are really candied, which is why I thought t=
> hey would weigh more.  They are boiled in simple syrup and it is a very len=
> gthy, and sometimes dangerous process.

Yes, they appear to have been repeatedly dipped in sugar syrup. I think
there were sometimes rolled in sugar after the many dippings, so it
is possible that Olwen simply forgot to mention the dipping step.

For more information on this, you might be interested in this file:
candied-peel-msg  (35K)  6/28/01    Candied fruit peels. A late period treat.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-peels-msg.html

They also candied spices:
comfits-msg       (32K)  1/17/02    Period candied spices and seeds. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/comfits-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net