[Sca-cooks] first feast / Absolutely incredible weekend - long!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 23 23:32:20 PDT 2002

Generys discussed her first feast. Part of what shw said was:
> ... frumenty (never attempt to do frumenty for >100
> plus in one pot - even with a designated stirrer stirring constantly, it
> *will* scorch... that was my one major screwup that I didn't realize I did
> until it was already partially out...) Stwed Beef Ribs, homemade rolls, and
> Cormarye.
>
> So all in all, it went fairly well - the only major dramas were the burnt
> frumenty, ...

It sounds like your first feast went well.

Several years ago, there was a big discussion on how to cook large

amounts of rice or grains without burning them. We've also discussed
how to salvage it if it does burn on the bottom. I'm afraid I don't
have time to go find where those threads ended up, but you might
want to look in these Florilegium files:

frumenty-msg      (62K)  6/21/01    A period cooked grain dish, often barley.

grains-msg        (54K)  7/ 5/02    Medieval grains. Recipes. Cooking.
rice-msg          (63K)  6/19/02    Period rice. Recipes.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net