[Sca-cooks] How Big Tarts???

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 23 23:54:08 PDT 2002

Serena da Riva asked:
> A question that has been plaguing me for a bit. How big and what shape were
> tarts/pies in period?
>
> What research has been done into this question and what knowledge is already
> out there?
>
> I am fairly confident that 8" - 9" round is not the answer. Inquiring minds
> want to know.

 From previous discussions, I think that pies were generally squarish
rather than round. Bread was round, pies were square. :-)
You might check these files in the Florilegium:

pies-msg          (57K)  7/26/02    Period pie crusts, meat and fruit pies.

meat-pies-msg    (130K)  5/ 7/01    Period meat pies. Recipes.
fruit-pies-msg    (45K)  1/ 5/01    Period fruit pies. Recipes. Baking pies.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net