[Sca-cooks] How Big Tarts???

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Sep 24 06:59:29 PDT 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>From previous discussions, I think that pies were generally squarish
>rather than round. Bread was round, pies were square. :-)

I STR seeing some discussion here, some of it based on the uses and
implications of the word "coffin", which suggested that pies might be
square or rectangular.

However, I have never seen an illustration of a square pie, and have
seen many period illustrations of round pies. Apart from those which
are either shaped to fit some specific shape of filling (for example,
a sort of ellipse would be good for a whole bird), I can think of
some structural difficulties that might arise from a tall,
rectangular pie which might easily result in a falling of the pastry
during baking.

I think a round or oval shape is more likely, in the absence of a lot
of specific evidence to the contrary. Is there much of that?

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER