[Sca-cooks] Neapolitan Risotto? (was re: Black Rice)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 24 07:35:52 PDT 2002

>niccolo difrancesco commented:
> > 8.  Rice in the Italian Style
> > Put fat and lean broth into a pot and boil it . . . . <SNIP>
>THEN

I was wondering the same thing.  Since I do not have the book I can only ask
are there other references to this kind of broth(s)?  Are there specific
recipes for broths?  My first instinct was to think of a meat broth and a
vegetable broth mixed together, perhaps for a combination of flavors.  With
cheese and eggs it seems more likely to taste better with the higher veggie
flavor, but that is personal preference.  Washing the rice in warm water
several times would certainly reduce or remove the surface starch.  That is
a method still referred to in modern cookbooks for that purpose.  The recipe
does not state to cook until the broth is absorbed, nor does it give
reference to removing with a slotted spoon, but it does say to serve in
bowls.  This would let me beleive that it is still rather stewey (rather
than soupy because of the added eggs and cheese to thicken).  Since no
spices are called for, I imagine the flavoring would all come from the
broth(s) and cheese.  So.  What types of broths or soups are described in
that book?
Olwen