[Sca-cooks] Neapolitan Risotto? (was re: Black Rice)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 24 07:42:44 PDT 2002

On 24 Sep 2002, at 9:54, Nick Sasso wrote:

> niccolo difrancesco commented:
> > 8.  Rice in the Italian Style
> > Put fat and lean broth into a pot and boil it . . . . <SNIP>
> THEN

I think it does.  This is supported by the original Italian and by
Scully's comments.  The Italian says "brodo grasso he magro".  I
don't read Italian, but the words and the syntax here are almost
dientical to Spanish.  This means "broth, fat and lean".  It cannot
mean "fat + 'lean broth'".

Scully's note on this recipe says:

"It is tempting to 'amend' 'brodo grasso he magro' to 'brodo grasso
ho magro', yet the word 'and' is clearly written here, as it is in the
same phrase in the following recipe.  This must be a fatty, meaty
broth."

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net