[Sca-cooks] Period Produce

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 24 16:19:57 PDT 2002

I'm just being a posting fool tonight.  If you would like to have quinces
every year and you live in climate zones 5-9, you can purchase Cydonia
Oblonga (the true quince) from Miller's Nurseries and from Wayside Gardens.
You can also purchase Chaenomeles japonica from Wayside, but this fruit was
discovered in Japan in 1784 and so is definitely OOP.  However, we have
quite a  few Chaenomeles growing where I work and I have cooked with them
and with a few Cydonias purchased at the local grocery and the only
significant difference that I found was the size (Cydonia are larger).  Size
can be important in this case, because you usually peel and core the fruit
at some point in the proceedings, and larger fruit = higher fruit to peel
ratio.  (I did a short paper on quinces for work and as result know way too
much about them.)  There may be a taste difference, but I wasn't being
scientific enough to discover it.  I would be interested in purchasing
quinces from Ms. Malone, so please contact me with price info.  Thanks!

Anne Sintmaartensdijk

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.   Emerson