[Sca-cooks] Emergency supplies WAS Parmesan

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Sep 24 18:50:58 PDT 2002

Also sprach Huette von Ahrens:
>--- "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius"
><adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  Canned corn (not as good as fresh, but much
>>  faster, and preferable
>>  (to me) over frozen. As with tomatoes, a
>>  smaller supply of "cream
>>  style" corn for making Chinese chicken-velvet
>>  (or crab) and corn soup.
>
>Although I know that this is your personal
>preference, I wonder how it is that you can stand
>the taste of canned corn.  Especially since you
>have an advanced palate.  I can even smell the
>difference between canned and frozen corn, even
>if it is used in a casserole, or corn bread.  To
>me, canned corn is revolting, both in taste and
>smell.

I'm tempted to say that I have a sensitive palate, but few or no
pretensions. But that's not really what I mean, either. It might be
better for me to say that the vehemence with which you speak suggests
the possibility of emotional bias that may have more to do with some
personal experience than with quality. But ultimately, the only thing
I can say for sure is that my personal preference is for canned corn
over frozen, because while I'm aware of a change for the worse in the
flavor of canned versus fresh, I am far more bothered by the change
in the texture of frozen over fresh, which seems invariably to be
either dry and leathery, or watery and pulpy on the inside, and
leathery on the outside of the kernel. I've had canned corn that was
better than some other brands of canned corn, but I've never managed
to find a single brand of frozen corn that I liked.

>The only frozen corn that I dislike is Green
>Giant, because they process their frozen corn
>just like their canned corn.  Yech!  Petui!
>Given my 'drothers, I would take fresh corn any
>day, with most frozen corn as an acceptable
>substitute.  No canned corn will ever pass thru
>my lips, if I have a choice about it.

As I say, it's a matter of which sacrifices we prefer to make. We
clearly agree that neither is a perfect substitute for fresh corn in
season; you'd rather put up with what I consider an unpleasant
texture (and, IMO, loss of flavor) to avoid what you consider an
unpleasant flavor, presumably an artificial sweetness and that lovely
canned flavor. I can understand that, but it isn't my preference, and
doesn't have to be. ;-)

I just need to remember, if I ever cook a meal for you, not to serve
canned corn... that shouldn't be too hard.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER