[Sca-cooks] Emergency supplies WAS Parmesan

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Sep 24 21:43:34 PDT 2002

Could it also be a matter of what we grew up with? Like Huette, I much
prefer the taste of frozen corn, but that's how we preserved it for
out-of-season use.  I kinda find canned corn as-corn pretty retchable,
although it's okay in chowders or similar dishes.  Of course, I'm not
much on canned veggies overall, although I do adore beets, and will eat
them right out of the can! (Hey, it's quick, and that way you don't have
to wash a dish!)
I can certainly understand the texture thing, though, although I've
never thought of it in terms of corn.  There are a couple of us,
locally, who have very pronounced, and very *different* food texture
issues.
As far as emergency supplies go, I don't have nearly the adventurous
pantry that some do (partly lack of funds, partly lack of storage
space...the available cupboard/closet space in this trailer just s***s).
So I looked tonight...flour and sugar and 8 bajillion different spices.
Honey.  Coffee, butter, and yogurt in the fridge.  Usually have eggs and
other perishables like cheese, too, but I haven't gone grocery shopping
since I got back from Ireland).  Garlic.  Always.  Not much in the
freezer (it's small, and not very efficient).  Cupboards: canned tomato
sauce and diced tomatoes, rice, beans, lentils, almonds, oatmeal,
couscous, cold and hot cereals, baking chocolate, way too many raisins
[note to self: self, start the mincemeat soon....].
I do live in a winter-nasty climate, and not particularly near a store
(and no car), so if I needed to (illness, storm, whatever), I'd stock up
on things like chicken (for versatility), juices in jars, rice,
green-can parmesan cheese, bouillon, and cat food (they're family...not
dinner!).  Canned tuna in water (we can all eat that).  Pasta and some
jarred sauces.  Stuff I could live on for a while.  Oh, and propane for
the Coleman I use during camping season.  I could cook with it if I lost
power, provided we didn't freeze to death first! <g>
--Maire