[Sca-cooks] Re: Cooking Cats

Patrick McKinnion patgund at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 25 11:55:05 PDT 2002

On 9/25/02 8:21 AM, "Stephanie Ross" <hlaislinn at earthlink.net>  said:

> That is the main reason why I became a vegetarian. I couldn't handle the
> concept of eating an animal's suffering.

    Whereas there is no way I can ever be a vegetarian.   My body lacks the
ability to handle and metabolize vegetable protein, and I cannot digest most
legumes.    For me to ever be a vegetarian means courting severe health
problems.

> Perhaps this is why meat eaters, on average, tend to
> be more aggressive than vegetarians?

    I can't say that I agree with this statement.   I have seen no proof or
data of any type that says that meat eaters and more aggressive than
vegetarians.   Site proof?

> Modern veal raising is a crime against the life force, IMO,

    No argument from me there.   I refuse to eat veal.

>  BTW, I
> have heard that in Vietnam, they terrorize and beat dogs so that the hormones
> can tenderize the meat before slaughter.

    The main objection I see to this statement is that it smacks too much of
some of the other anti-asian slurs I've seen.   Again, proof?

> What a sick planet, that we are
> forced to survive by eating the suffering of lower species.

    Well, until we as a species can survive by photosyntheis, our options
are limited.    Eating food for the most part means causing death, be that
the death of vegetation, or the death of animals.     I accept this as part
of the life cycle.

> I'm sure I will
> get flamed hard for this post, but my mundanely pagan heart won't back down
> from this opinion.

    Flaming, no.   However, as a Pagan who does eat meat, (and indeed, can't
ever be a vegetarian due to health reasons), I do have to raise an eyebrow
over the implied connection between Pagan and being a vegetarian.    I know
a lot of Pagans that are rampant carnavores - and a lot of vegetarians that
are Christian or other mainstream faith.

    YIS
    - Padraig o Connell

--
My father sacked Lindisfarne, and all I got was this lousy pennanular
broach!