Donut update & camp donuts WAS:Re: Rolls Recipe WAS: Re: [Sca-cooks] pot-lucks?

Isabella di Giovanni isabella_di_giovanni at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 25 12:18:17 PDT 2002

OK. Refrigerating the roll dough before shaping and the second rise did and didn't work. Nothing raised as well as it should have. And the crust *seemed* to be tough.
I tried donuts (plain glazed and deep fried cinnamon rolls). They were ok, raised pretty well, but like I said, the crust seemed tough.
I made cinnamon rolls (raise and bake). One with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and one with just cinnamon and white sugar. Neither one raised worth a darn.
As far as my 'camp donuts'. My Mama gave me a secret when I was tiny (and I just turned 51 yesterday, so it was a long time ago). Use tube biscuts, cut a hole in the center and fry them. I use small plastic water/soda bottle for that (if the dough gets stuck in the top, just squeeze and poof, out it comes. haha). Once done, glaze.
However, I think our Queen Elizabeth and King Bela's favorites are the 'cherry cheesecake' ones. Take the biscut, flatten to palm size and fry. I make a *form* from crumpled aluminum foil (not period, but, oh, well. Don't leave home without it), oblong, slightly smaller than the biscut. I use this, with tongs, to hold the biscut under the oil for a few seconds. They seem to fry up with a more uniform shape and have an indent in the center...all the better to fill with cheesecake!!
The cheesecake filling is simply cheesecake pudding/pie filling, made in pie mode with heavy cream or milk. Make it at home, put it in a zipper and toss in a cooler.
Cherry filling is just pie filling with vanilla and brown sugar added (maybe a little brandy, but you don't want it runny or drunk breakfast guests), and the cherries a little chopped up. Again, just zipper and toss.
Drain the fried 'shells', cool a few minutes and fill. Then top with a little squiggle of thick glaze and have fun.
Isabella...always looking for new and fun things to cook at camp
PS. Oooh, baby...Oooh, baby. What a baby to babysit. Said he had a blast.
Issy
 Susan Fox-Davis wrote: Thanks for this, I'm going to try it out soon, and also try to scale it down for the breadmaker - 3 cups of flour is what fits there. OOP or otherwise: you give this nice roll recipe, say that you have never made donuts with it but you do make a lot of donuts for events. So: how's about your donut recipe?

Mmm Mmm Donuts pleeease?

Best, your baby sitter Selene C.