Female cows OOP, OT WAS:Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: college and slaughter... (was Cooking Cats

Isabella di Giovanni isabella_di_giovanni at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 25 13:41:30 PDT 2002

OK. I admit that I am clueless in some things. I had *no* idea that female cows weren't slaughtered for human food, after their *normal* usefulness was over.
Isabella
 lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:Isabella di Giovanni
>OK, I am clueless. Why aren't cows beef? What are they?

Cows are girls. They make babies and give milk, and end up in pet
food when they get too old.
Beef comes from boys, err, well, former boys. Actually, beef comes
from steers, which are castrated male bovines.
I guess you thought we omnivores were eating a lot of bull :-) Well,
we aren't. We eat castrati...

When i was in Morocco i ate what the menu said was veal, or rather
"veau" (it was in French, after all). I knew i was not getting
American style veal, which i won't eat, so i ordered it. Moroccan
"veals" are actually free range animals who are a lot older and have
a more varied diet than American veal. The meat is rather dark and a
bit, uh, firmer. They aren't raised chained to stalls. Basically it's
from a not-quite full grown bull. And IIRC, in Muslim countries they
*don't* castrate their male animals, as that would be counter to
their religion. Probably why they eat more sheep than bovine meat...

Actually, (as folks on this list are no doubt tired of hearing) i'm a
former vegetarian, who rarely eats meat. When i do, i usually eat
chicken or fish (or bacon :-). And, yes, i helped my Batak former
sister-in-law kill chickens when i lived in Jakarta, Indonesia.

And, yes, Sieggy, i did claw my way up the food chain to eat Tofu. It
doesn't grow on trees, you know :-) It took a lot of human
creativity, ingenuity, and technological know-how to figure out how
to make it ;-p Heck, Tofu is one of my comfort foods - cold, right
out of the box, with a little soy sauce. Hmmm, think i'll go get some
now...

Anahita