Female cows OOP, OT WAS:Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: college and slaughter... (was Cooking Cats

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Sep 25 16:59:25 PDT 2002

I grew up on a farm and we certainly butchered and ate female cows and
ones that were heifers and never bred. One or two never weaned, so they
were sold or butchered. There are always a number you decide not to keep
for the herd and some of those get eaten at the same age as a steer.
Other were sold at the livestick market. We also had one miscarry a
first calf in which case she wasn't kept either.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis