[Sca-cooks] Alton Brown in a Tunic?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 25 14:05:08 PDT 2002

Michael Gunter wrote:

> >Signed,
> >El Hermoso Dormido, who's been wanting to see Medieval-themed
> >"Good Eats" shows for quite some time now...
>
> I kind of wonder what he would do. The problem is that, although
> he often presents some good food anthropology at times, he
> also has been guilty of major errors when it comes to Medieval
> dishes. There have been many times during his shows when he
> will make some comment, especially from the period, that I will
> raise an eyebrow at.

I wonder whether they shoot in NYC or LA?  If New York, we can talk
Adamantius into playing the Medieval Food Scientist for Alton?  O I can
see it now!  The big battle will come if they shoot in Los Angeles.
Whichever one of us they think is more photogenic or possibly who ever
has the best costume.  That lets me out.  Ms. Huette has the better
library and memory as well as sparkling costuming;  Jamal is
"magnyficent" in front of an audience.  Here's to yez!

> I've been surprised that there was not much discussion on the
> "Dining with Henry VII" episode. I thought it was wonderful
> and really enjoyed seeing the dishes being prepared and presented.
> But even then there were some pretty glaring errors as far as
> my limited knowledge. Heh, I did appreciate the fact that "Maids
> of Honor" is a secret recipe. Or how only the King and Courtiers
> ate wafres.

Well, it wasn't as bad as most of what's out there, mild compared with
"Emeril" for instance.  Maybe "Maids of Honour" =was= a secret recipe,
500 years ago. Whose to say that our recipes are much like those at
Hampton Hall?  Certainly "authentic" Sally Lunn bread is still
technically a secret recipe, but that does not stop dozens of cookbooks
from listing a recipe anyway.
<http://www.sallylunns.co.uk/P3HistoryBrief.htm>

Selene Colfox