[Sca-cooks] Alton Brown in a Tunic?

El Hermoso Dormido ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net
Wed Sep 25 11:53:46 PDT 2002

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 12:19 pm, Michael Gunter wrote:
[...]
> I kind of wonder what he would do. The problem is that, although
> he often presents some good food anthropology at times, he
> also has been guilty of major errors when it comes to Medieval
> dishes. There have been many times during his shows when he
> will make some comment, especially from the period, that I will
> raise an eyebrow at.

Yeah, I caught him passing on that "spices were for hiding bad food"
thing once or twice...
[...]
> I'd love to see Alton do a show on Medieval food, but would really
> appreciate some fact-checkers there. I LOVED his preparation
> of haggis!

He strikes me as someone who'd research the topic of his show
fairly well - though not hitting "peripheral" issue as deeply
at the time (hence the reason for the "spices and bad food"
info-blurbs - at the time, the show's topic was modern uses,
so the widely 'known' but incorrect bit of information was
included as a bit of peripheral trivia).

I suspect if the THEME of the show in question were Medieval
Food there'd definitely be more in-depth fact-checking in
that area...

Signed,
El Hermoso Dormido - so much of a "Good Eats" fan that he
REFUSES to get cable TV until the provider adds FoodTV to
their channel lineup...