[Sca-cooks] Re: FoodTV

El Hermoso Dormido ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net
Wed Sep 25 14:21:02 PDT 2002

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 02:24 pm, Vincent Cuenca wrote:
> Ya know, we keep talking about this sort of thing, how wonderful it would
> be if something like this were to be produced.
>
> So why don't we do it?
>
> (Well, yeah, we're spread out all over the country, we don't have the
> money, yadda yadda yadda.)
[...]
Hmmmm....

Well, I DO have equipment and technical know-how to generate SVCD's from
most digital formats and captures from consumer VHS...

Just about any DVD player made in the last year or more can handle
CD-R media, and I don't think I've ever heard of a DVD player that didn't
also handle VCD and SVCD formats...

Blank CD-R media can be had in bulk for under $0.25 each these days...and
if the Theora project ( http://www.theora.org ) there'll also be a
royalty-free format for purely online distribution...

That takes care of the large amount of money that would have been required
to deal with reproduction and distribution of the media, at least.

[...]
> So here's a proposition, strictly as a thought experiment:
>
> What would you want to see in a series on period cooking?  One show on
> debunking myths, another on regional cooking variances, one on how to plan
> menus and lay tables?
[...]
If we're not intending strictly-controlled commercial-only distribution it
makes things simpler - we do whatever we can get people to donate material for
:-)

Perhaps instead of a single 'show', as an experiment we could solicit
people to do small 'tutorial' videos (perhaps 5-10 minutes each?  Just
thinking that would be easier than trying to get a 'full-length show'
organized, at least at first), which we could collect into
an SVCD or VCD format to give out?  (SVCD is a little over 1/2 hour
per disk.  VCD is about 75 minutes/disk but is of lower quality).

How many people, who might be interested, have access to some sort of video
camera?  And, among you, what might you be interested in presenting in
this way?

signed,
El Hermoso Dormido, who likes this idea...
(And who STILL needs to sit down and make SVCD's of last year's West Kingdom
Pandybat competition...)