[Sca-cooks] New Zealand/Australia:food advice

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Sep 25 17:24:04 PDT 2002

At 07:58 PM 9/25/2002, you wrote:
>I have a friend who is going to australia/new zealand what food/kitchen
>implement souveniers should I ask her to bring back, and also what are some
>menu items she should try while she is there.  She is an adventurous eater.
>If you do recommend a menu item please tell me if there is anything unusual
>in it like moths, bugs, worms.

I'm speaking as a tourist having been there for nearly a year, hitchiking
throughout Australia...

Well, ya gots to have the ubiquitious meat pie at the pub.  Not something
to write home about, but part of the aussie food experience.  I had some
made with emu pie that wasn't so commercial and delicious, but that was a
little bake shop along the banks of the Murray River.

Snake, if you have a chance.  Though it's illegal for white folks to catch
it.  I was lucky enough to get some caught be an aboriginal in a group,
still along the Murray.  The way they grilled it was real cool.

Kangaroo, of course.

Vegemite, which is really not as nasty as most american palates think.

Burger, with all the fixings (fried egg, bacon, mushroom, pickled beet
root, and???)

If you have a chance to get to Uluru, it *is* as magickal as they
say.  Didn't think it was worth stopping, but since I was going through
that area, I stopped.  I was planning on a day, stayed ten.  That's where I
had a chance to taste witchety grubs and honey ants.

That's all I can think about just now.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle, Meridies