[Sca-cooks] Re: Humane treatment of animals

joan lulay siobhanthomas at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 26 05:12:12 PDT 2002

This brings to mind Ben, the calf I helped raise at My uncles farm. His mother died giving birth. He was so puppy like, he would see me coming and run across the field to greet me.
 I went home for school and came back the next year and he was gone.  Sitting at the dinner table I asked where he was, my aunt dropped her fork and ran upstairs crying. I didnt eat meat for three years after that.
I found if you always keep in mind that the animal is being raised for slaughter it makes it just a little bit easier when the time comes, not much but a little. Although I still can't look at beef with out thinking of Ben.
Siobhan
> . No, I can't raise an animal for slaughter- by the time you've watched
them grow from infant to adult, dealt with all of their health and other
issues, and spent time with them every day, they're too close, at least to
me.

Do the right thing. Because it is the right thing to do.

Perform random acts of kindness, and senseless acts of beauty.           (bumper stickers)