[Sca-cooks] food coop

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Sep 26 07:36:39 PDT 2002

Maire skrev:

> Maybe several regional ones, to cover all the specialties, since some of
> us have -uhm- climate issues? And, while we're dreaming <g>, how about
> some specialized potters and metal workers, for the period cooking gear?

I'm working on the metal part. Am intending to reproduce several items from
the Mastermyr find.

If you saw the set-up I had for the Bal Po Soup for the Knowne Worlde Cook's
Potluck this year at Pennsic, I had my cast- iron pot over the fire, held by
a hand-made wrought iron chain and hook (found it at a flea market for $4
and opened up some of the links) and a tripod we smithed on site and a steel
ladle that we reshaped to our purpose (handle was bent in wrong directions).

Mastermyr find includes some copper pots, a griddle, and a grill (actually
not used for cooking, according to the blurb, but should work just fine), as
well as a couple other items of interest.

Anybody else who runs into detailed descriptions of finds of Medieval
cooking gear, please let me know- the Mastermyr catalog includes pictures,
diagrams, accurate descriptions and metallurgical analyses of many of the
items- more is always good ;-)

I like Cindy's picture pages- many of them show fairly detailed pictures of
several metal items, apparently commonly used in kitchens, and while they
don't show exact sizes, they do give very good proportional views.

Phlip