[Sca-cooks] Corn was Emergency supplies

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 27 06:15:26 PDT 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Wow. I don't know how you could (or why) remember this. I didn't
>remember these details until you just reminded me.

I'm an idiot savant?

>>The Alton Brown creamed corn recipe looks good to me, but also seems
>>like only a slightly fancified version of Southern "fried" corn.
>Huh? I haven't read that recipe yet, but how did we get from a
>creamed corn to a fried corn? Or, for "fried corn" I think of
>breaded corn on the cob which is fried. Or breaded blobs of
>corn which is then fried. But as I think of it, I guess the corn
>in the latter is often creamed corn. Yes, I suspect the latter
>is a southern US thing.

"Fried" corn, I suspect, in the sense that it is cooked with a small
amount of fat (normally butter, I think) in a frying pan, the idea
being to reduce the liquid and thicken the mass to an almost polenta
consistency. I gather this is a rural Southern-US, maybe hill folk,
kind of dish.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER