[Sca-cooks] Corn was Emergency supplies

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 26 23:02:12 PDT 2002

Adamantius replied to me with:
> Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>>I have made a "cajun" corn recipe that Adamantius posted or sent me.
>>
>>That had whole corn kernals in it in a cream-like sauce. But maybe
>>that is not "creamed corn". At least the stuff I get from the can
>>has a lot more smushed kernals than whole and the juice is different.
>
> I remember your mentioning this, and having some problem or question
> about the relationship between corn mass and volume, or maybe it was
> how many ounces equals a processed ear of corn...

Yes, now that you mention this I do remember this. Looking at the
recipe, it calls for 7 cups of corn cut off the cob or frozen corn.
But the frozen corn is sold by wieght not volume.

Seven cups is a fair volume of corn or at least seemed like it

would be. I think I overbought and/or actually ended up cooking
less and adjusting the other volumes (somehow I always seem to end
up doing this by look and not calculating new amounts).

> I think you brought this to a family Thanksgiving celebration?

Wow. I don't know how you could (or why) remember this. I didn't
remember these details until you just reminded me.

> However, I also don't think the recipe came from me.

I guess I should have dug out the recipe last night, like I just did
now. I was a bit behind on this list then. Now though, I'm even
further behind. Some of you (me) talk a lot. No, this came from
Scotti on my household list (SPCA) and not you or someone on this
list.

Since some of you may like this, I'll paste it below. I really
liked it, but it turned out to be a lot more work than I expected.
I've made it again since then, and it was still a lot of work. :-)

> The Alton Brown creamed corn recipe looks good to me, but also seems
> like only a slightly fancified version of Southern "fried" corn.
Huh? I haven't read that recipe yet, but how did we get from a

creamed corn to a fried corn? Or, for "fried corn" I think of
breaded corn on the cob which is fried. Or breaded blobs of
corn which is then fried. But as I think of it, I guess the corn
in the latter is often creamed corn. Yes, I suspect the latter
is a southern US thing.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net