[Sca-cooks] Corn was Emergency supplies

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 26 17:48:41 PDT 2002

Canned creamed corn is just corn - no cream sauce. If you want to make
it fresh, take fresh corn on the cob, cut off the kernels without going
deep, and then run the back of the knife over the cob to remove all the
germ left on the cob. You can, if you wish, actually slit the kernels
before cutting them off. Do it before cooking if you are canning your
own (what a waste of good corn!) or after cooking if you want to eat it
fresh. The point is that you have all the insides of the kernel mushed
in together - nice and creamy. The milkieness is starch from the corn.

When I have fresh corn, I usually eat it right from the cob, but I have
done this if for some reason I ended up keeping an ear or two for a day
or so... the quality deterioration isn't as obvious. I'll also cut it
off the cob, then cook with a fresh tomato, barely cooked, not much more
than heated through.

Anne