[Sca-cooks] Drakey asked- was Burger Khan

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 27 08:05:27 PDT 2002

Also sprach Phlip:
>  > Mongol khun bol "burger"-chin edekh ugei shuu....
>>
>>  (Mongols don't eat burgers)
>>
>>  How about makh, "meat." Makh qan, "meat khan" could be a fairytale
>>  character. Of course the makh would probably be boiled and lamb to boot. I
>>  am willing to be if there are any MacDonald's in Mongolia the word used
>>  would, in fact, burger....
>>
>  > Paul D. Buell

And the truly frightening thing is that, were you to mention a
McDonald's burger, in English, to a Mongolian herdsman of the present
day, he would know _exactly_ what you were talking about. He probably
would not know about W. Somerset Maugham, but Ronald McDonald, yes.
(Japanese schoolchildren have lodged some fascinating, brainwashed
comments about ol' Ronald, too.)

My brother-in-law was in Mongolia a few years ago, and attended a
sort of barbecue which centered on a goat cooked in a sealed milk can
with red-hot-stones, and the herdsmen, through translators and
pantomime, managed to specifically make clear to him that the
absolutely de rigeur seasoning for barbecued goat a la milk-can were
the packets of freeze-dried soup mix American campers in Mongolia
almost invariably carry for emergencies. (I actually have video
footage of this; it might make a fun Quicktime presentation.)

Hanson watched the back of the Lipton Recipe Secrets boxes for a
couple of years after that, for goat recipes.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER