[Sca-cooks] Corn was Emergency supplies

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Sep 27 08:30:12 PDT 2002

Corwyn skrev:

> adamantius.magister at verizon.net writes:
>

> > "Fried" corn, I suspect, in the sense that it is cooked with a small
> > amount of fat (normally butter, I think) in a frying pan, the idea
> > being to reduce the liquid and thicken the mass to an almost polenta
> > consistency. I gather this is a rural Southern-US, maybe hill folk,
> > kind of dish
>
> Actually, we always used bacon grease.. maybe SOME butter if there wasn't
> enough grease. We were KINDA hill folk, from the foothills of the
Smokies....
> Other than that its pretty close. <G>

Actually, bacon grease, in southern cooking, is usually an indicator that
the people cooking aren't very well-to-do (not po' white trash, just workin'
folks, usually farmin' types) or hill folk (pretty much the same culture).
Margarine was for poor folk with la dee dah pretensions, and butter was for
la dee dah folk- but I might point out, that both of the latter tend to use
a lot more bacon grease and lard than most Yankees do.

Phlip