[Sca-cooks] Haggis King?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 27 09:32:29 PDT 2002

Padraig says:

>You know, when I first read the title of this thread, my first thought
>was of a chain of scottish restaurants selling fast-food haggis
>a la "Burger King".

Scary thing is, my mind went to the same place.  Also to try to filk Weird Al
Yankovic's original weird song "Waffle King."  Didn't get very far, fortunately.

Here's a haggis suitable for Christmas.  Funny thing, the topic of sweet haggis
came up on the Caid list as well!
Our resident vegetarian can use vegetable shortening or margarine if she really
must,
but the flavor lacks a bit.  The American measurements are mine, not in the
original book.

For a mock haggis, do you play mock pipes and recite mock poetry?

Sweet Haggis

1 pig's or sheep's stomach
100 g. / 1/4 lb. beef suet
100 g. / 1/2 cup raisins or sultanas
400 g. / 2 cups oatmeal
10 ml. / 2 tsp. salt
2.5 ml. / 1/2 tsp. pepper
2x10 ml spoons/3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
100 ml. / 1/2 cup cold water

Wash the stomach bag and leave in cold salted water until required.
Toast oatmeal at Reg. 6, 200C or 400F for 10 minutes.  Skin and chop the
suet finely.  Mix all ingredients together until soft consistancy.
Drain stomach bag and put mixture into it until more than half full [to
allow for expansion of oatmeal].  Sew up bag tightly.  Put on an old
plate in pan of boiling water.  Prick haggis.  Boil for 3 hours,
pricking occasionally to prevent bursting.

Sweet haggis can be cooked in synthetic skins, tie ends firmly, allowing
room for expansion;  or steamed in a bowl.  Boil 3 hours.  Sweet haggis
can be reheated by slicing and frying.

Selene's notes:   a couple of tea-towels sewn together also make a
credible pudding bag too, and don't need the pricking like a real
paunch.  Don't used all rolled 'squished' oats, do use either all or half
oat groats, like in the McCann's can.  I like to put in a teaspoon of mixed
spice
and some sliced almonds too.

>From THE SCOTTISH WOMEN'S RURAL INSTITUTE'S COOKERY BOOK, NINTH EDITION.

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net

""If the people don't know how laws and sausages are
made,they sleep better."   -Otto von Bismarck"