[Sca-cooks] Haggis King?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 28 00:59:27 PDT 2002

niccolo difrancesco commented:
> In full back swing to spit out some terribly witty smart arse reply, I
> got the smacked with the interest to try it.  IT will be fun even just
> tracking down the maw to stuff the thing.  I think I'll start canvassing
> the meat markets for someone interested in special ordering me a half
> dozen or so young pig stomachs.  I suspect that there is a cache of
> tested recipes for said gut sausage/gut pudding in the Florithingy?  (I
> miss Ras).

Well, haggis isn't made with *pig* stomaches.
However:

haggis-msg        (94K) 10/25/01    Scottish haggis recipes. comments on haggis.

sausages-msg     (104K) 10/31/00    Period sausages. Making sausage.
sausage-makng-msg (28K) 10/31/00    Sausage making techniques. Supplies.

> I cannot promise, but I sure do like the smack of presenting stuffed
> innards at the dinner . . . do you think pork uteri would be an
> acceptable substitute (I have source for 5 lb. packages frozen)?  A
> separate uterus for each diner (or split for two diners) could be cute
> as well.

exotic-meats-msg  (75K)  2/18/02    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans,
ostrich, crawfish, dormice, cat.
liver-msg         (37K)  2/11/02    Medieval cooking of liver. Recipes.

organ-meats-msg   (72K)  2/11/02    Period cooking of organ meats.
All of these are in the FOOD-MEATS section.

This one is in the FOOD section:

puddings-msg      (86K)  3/21/02    Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net