[Sca-cooks] herring substitute

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Sep 28 22:40:39 PDT 2002

Also sprach Morgana Abbey:
>So I picked out the Masked Ball menu without checking into one issue.
>Fresh/frozen herring.  Unless I can substitute something else, I'll be
>swapping dishes.  A website I checked suggested something like smelt or
>perch as a substitute.
>
>Anyone know if this is accurate?  I can get smelt or perch!

Herring is kind of a fishy, oily-type fish. Both smelt and perch
(most of the varieties I've seen, anyway) are fairly lean, white
fish. I kind of think smelts or perch might be seen as close in size
and shape (although perch can be _much_ larger than herring), but
they're not very close in flavor. How are the fish being used? I'm
thinking small mackerel or some kind of jack probably come pretty
close. If it's just a matter of the meat, you might find bluefish
would work.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER