Subject: [Sca-cooks] herring substitute

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Sep 29 13:25:15 PDT 2002

Also sprach Morgana Abbey:
>OK, it was late and I forgot to include that part.  The recipe is
>Ashkenazi (the Masked Ball theme being "come as your favorite Old
>Testament character), marinated herring.  Cider vinegar base, lots of
>onion.
>
>Jack, you say?
>
>Morgana

Jack would be one, as in amberjack, etc. They come in varying sizes,
and are oily fish related to tuna, mackerel, etc. I think for
pickling/marinating purposes, you want something a little assertive.
Mackerel may be easier to find, though.

On the other hand, you might be able to use smelts for something like
escabeche, which, though technically Arabic/Andalusian, has long been
a favorite of Sephardic Jews, I understand.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER