[Sca-cooks] herring substitute

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Sep 30 10:27:55 PDT 2002

Claudia Roden in The Book of Jewish Food has a recipe for Ashkenazi
pickled fried fish that just calls for fish. The fish are fried and then
marinated in vinegar and spice and sugar. She includes a lot of material
on fish in the Jewish style. You might try a variety of fish and try
some trial batches to work out what is best and available for your ball.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis