Subject: [Sca-cooks] herring substitute

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 12:11:46 PDT 2002

--- Morgana Abbey <morgana.abbey at juno.com> wrote:
> OK, it was late and I forgot to include that
> part.  The recipe is
> Ashkenazi (the Masked Ball theme being "come as
> your favorite Old
> Testament character), marinated herring.  Cider
> vinegar base, lots of
> onion.
>
> Jack, you say?
>
> Morgana

Although I don't want to discourage you from
making your own, since you can't get fresh
herring where you are, why not buy already
marinated herring?  I have seen several brands of
marinated herring using cider vinegar and lots of
onion.
It probably won't be as good as if you made it
fresh yourself, but it might be better that using
the wrong substitute ...  Just my two cents ...

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.