[Sca-cooks] Feast Cook Qualities

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 29 14:49:03 PDT 2002

> So what qualities does one look for in a feast cook?  :)

Here are a few excerpts of my "Feast Planner's Handbook".  Contact me
privatelty at: kingstaste at mindspring.com if you are interested in getting a
copy.
Mistress Christianna MacGrain

	Feast planning can be a wonderful way to contribute to the Society.  It
allows one to show leadership and culinary talent when done well.  Being a
Feast Planner takes organization, leadership, economic shrewdness, research
skills, and some ability to cook tasty food.  It also means that you need to
listen and communicate.
	When done well, feast planning can be fun and rewarding.  Satisfied eaters
will cheer your name.
	When done poorly, there is no hiding.  Hundreds of people will be grumpy,
or worse, ill.
	Where autocrats have most of their work finished by the event day
 the
Feast Planner’s work is only half begun.  A Feast Planner can count on
working from morning till night on event day, and leading others through a
long list of prep-work.
	Where to begin?
	Make sure you up for the task.  Then make a PLAN.

Think before you commit.  There are many considerations that affect your
ability to be good at feast planning.  Unlike an Autocrat, a Feast Planner
does not need to be a paid member of the SCA, Inc., but should be an avid
event attendee.  In other words, you need to know what a good feast (or a
bad feast) is.

If you are an experienced SCA Event goer, then ask yourself these questions:

Ø Am I equipped with good, long-range planning skills?
Ø Am I organized?
Ø Can I work very hard for little or no reward?
Ø Can I say “no”?
Ø Can I keep my cool?
Ø Can I delegate?
Ø Do I know how and when to ask for help?
Ø Can I get the people in my group to work with me?
Ø Can I stand on my feet for 10 hours or more?

Hopefully, you answered “YES” to these physical, emotional and character
questions. There are also logistical challenges, too.  You will likely have
to transport and carry hundreds of pounds of food and equipment.  Access to
strong backs and minivans are helpful.  Kitchen experiences can include
construction, scrubbing, digging and minor plumbing issues, and some of it
in the wee hours of the morning.