[Sca-cooks] Dayboard aftermath

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Tue Apr 1 13:44:40 PST 2003

> >My feet were killing me for the rest of the day

Every cook's feet kill them, I swear it. But some things that help are -
spend more time on your feet for two weeks before the event. It helps them
adjust to the longer hours.

   Shoes... if you already own a good comfortable set of shoes, check out
the insoles available and experiment with one or two styles that are
specifically designed to reduce strain and to *cool* your feet. If you are
planning on buying new shoes, worry less about "period" and more about foot
health. Just before I hurted my back (wah!), I ran across a "free spirit"
store that was holding a sale - got walking/jogging shoes specifically
designed for women of larger sizes.... very supportive, very comfortable. I
also bought sports socks that have extra padding on the bottom. The only
caveats I have are: don't overload the space inside your shoe with too much
padding, and be sure to give your feet a "shoes and socks off" break
sometime during the day, probably best in that down time just before gearing
up to serve.
   Closed cell foam mats, available online and at industrial-outlets (or
from a Navy ship that's getting rid of theirs) are great for padding the
floor infront of the work counters. You can't slip on them when they get
wet, the foam doesn't mildew, and the fighters will do anything to get a few
bits of it for their equipment, so it's good as bribes too.

   Consider cooking in later-period clothing. I haven't met a woman yet who
hasn't exclaimed over the comfort and posture-support of a well-fitted
corset, and I've found that when your posture stays good, it reduces your
foot pain. Not to mention the relief of taking the corset off afterwards...
(guys, you're on your own on this point, unless you're doing Regency Era
England, in which case Prinny was well known for wearing them under his
shirt and vest).

Rosine