[Sca-cooks] corsets

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 2 19:16:44 PST 2003

Rosine commented:
>    Consider cooking in later-period clothing. I haven't met a woman yet who
> hasn't exclaimed over the comfort and posture-support of a well-fitted
> corset, and I've found that when your posture stays good, it reduces your
> foot pain.

Just a few comments here. I've never worn a corset, but from what I've heard
over the years, the late period corset is substantially different from the
Victorian corset. The later tended to move things around more, often in rather
unnatural positions, while the former was fitted to support and hold things in
their more or less natural position. I've heard comments from some women that
they were more comfortable in an Elizabethan corset than a modern bra.
For a number of comments from folks more expert in this area than I, see this
file in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium:

corsets-msg       (62K)  1/11/00    Tudor and Elizabethian corsets. making them.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/corsets-msg.html

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com