[Sca-cooks] my easter dinner

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Apr 21 14:54:10 PDT 2003

Ok, I'm going to babble a little.
My mom is dating this guy that none of her kids can stand-- Bob. Their
idea of a hot date is to get together and cook something. (Actually, now
that Bob has had a stroke, it's Jackie cooking and Bob directing, I
think...)

Anyway, after the last two holidays, where my mom cooked three holiday
meals (one for me and my brother Josh, one for her and Bob, and one for
her and my brother Tim and his fiancee, because Tim won't come to the
house on holidays)... I decided that enough was enough.

I asked Mom if I could cook Easter Dinner for her and Bob at her house.

It went pretty well, despite the time I spent cursing the re-arrangements
in the kitchen and my brother Josh's insistence in having Mom clear out
all the stuff she wasn't using regularly.

My mom said she thought Bob liked the food, I just had made the mistake of
telling him how decadent the ingredients were, and he is supposed to be on
a diet. I survived hearing, in detail, all the changes the stroke made to
his sense of taste. My brother Josh, who came to Mom's specifically to
taste the leftovers from "my sister's wierd food", shovelled down two
platefulls in the 'farmer stance' (crouched down over the food so it won't
get away) and said it was pretty good. Maybe, says my brother who works
for the wacko caterer, I could even open my own restaurant.

What I served:

- the obligatory holiday dish of Armored Turnips
- Chopped Spinach from de Nola (with bacon AND raisins AND cheese)
- Cormarye (a little overcooked, which was odd-- the pork roast was only
150 degrees when I took it out of the oven and went up to 165 while it was
sitting out-- can anyone explain?)
- Buttered Worts made with ornamental kale-- purple with green edges and
white with green edges
- Beet salad from Rumpolt (yes, I know, it's probably beet leaves not
roots intended there...)
- Sauteed Fennel (from a recipe for 'Little Leaves' that's in Redon et.al)
- Funges
- Dried Plum sauce (made this with too much bread crumbs and not enough
wine so it was too thick.

I was going to serve roasted carrots, but 1 hour in the oven at
(theoretically) 325 did not roast them!

My mother's blender does NOT like making almond milk-- It spat liquid out
at me even through the edge of the closed lid every time.

The bags of spinach that my Mom gets in pre-packed bags hold about twice
as much as the ones I get where I am.

The buttered worts were really really pretty and quite good.

Oh, yes, and the night before, Mom and I made Slyte Soppes -- aside from
overtoasting the toast a bit, they were delicious.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"American boys should not be seen dying on the nightly news. Wars should be
over in three days or less, or before Congress invokes the War Powers
Resolution. Victory must be assured in advance. And the American public
must be all for it from the outset." -- Evan Thomas