[Sca-cooks] Convection/Microwave ovens

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Wed Apr 30 14:53:16 PDT 2003

Last weekend part of plastic on the top inner surface of my 21 year Amana microwave oven caught fire. While I may be able to find that replacement piece, the inside liner of the door has also been cracked for some time. Perhaps it is time to simply replace it. When I bought it in 1982 it cost ~$500. It appears that the modern equivalents are now available for ~$110 to $160. The replacement parts cost might add up to be a large part of what simply replacing the microwave might be. Currently, largely because of the Consumer Reports reviews, I'm leaning towards the Sharp Carousel R-530EK, the GE JE1460BF or perhaps the Panasonic The Genius NN-S962BF or similar models.

However, I've also noted there are a number of combination Convection/Microwave ovens. These though are much more expensive and are in the $300 - $400 range. Does anyone have one of these? Does the convection part really add that much advantage to the microwave? What are the advantages of having this combination over using the regular gas oven and the seperate microwave oven? I've never used a convection oven before.

Since you can use different cooking utensils in the oven, such as metal pans when in the convection mode but not when in the microwave or combination mode, I am concerned about what happens if someone accidently turns on the wrong mode or forgets and puts in the wrong dish.

I'd appreciate comments on any of this. I'm beginning to miss the convenience of the microwave.

Thanks,
   Stefan li Rous
   stefanlirous at austin.rr.com