[Sca-cooks] A Question of Spit Roasting....

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 3 09:44:37 PST 2003

Susan Laing wrote:
> Can anyone advise me on -
> *how to gauge & maintain the fire coals heat

This, unforunately, is more of an art than a science, or at least I've never
found a foolproof method other than a good modern thermometer for monitoring
an open fire.

What kind of fuel will you be using for the fire?  This will make a large
difference in how you prepare and maintain a good coal bed for roasting...

> *how long the roasts are likely to need cooking (they're for serving
> at dinner at about 6-7 pm)

Shape and size of the roasts will determine this, along with the desired
degree of doneness.  At typical grilling temperatures in a closed grill, an
average 8 pound leg o' lamb will reach medium rare (125F internal temp) in
about 40 minutes.  An open fire will probably require close to double that.
I strongly recommend a good instant-read probe thermometer if you're not a
veteran of grill-roasting as there are a *lot* of variables that affect open
flame cooking times.

Try to bring the leg fully up to ambient temperature before putting it on
the fire.  Throwing it on cold, or even worse, frozen, will dramatically
increase cooking time and result in dry meat.

Be sure and rest the roast for 10-15 minutes after it's off the grill prior
to cutting, of course.

> *what type of basting sauce is best (recipes anyone??)

I prefer marinading to basting for large roasts.
http://food.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=101877 is a good basic olive
oil and herb marinade for lamb.

> *and does using a long sprig of rosemary to bast on the sauce help
> add to the flavour or is it just something that looked good on the
> recently screened "dining with Henry the 8th"??

I would tend to believe this is more for show.  Basting in general doesn't
add much flavor, and the type of utensil used to baste really isn't in
contact with the meat long enough to do much.   Add most of your additional
flavors in the marinade process.

If you want to really make peoples' mouths water, suspend a small pan of
water over the fire under the meat and add some port wine and rosemary to
the pan.  The resulting steam will add some additional flavor to the meat,
especially the crust, and will make a very happy smell throughout the
immediate area.

-Lorenz