[Sca-cooks] A Question of Spit Roasting....

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 13:37:41 PST 2003

Technically, roasting is heat  coming from the side, so what you want is
what is described as a clear fire, or sometimes a "six by six" fire---six
pieces of wood in each of six layers.  A basic time assumption for mutton is
15 minutes per pound, more if colder, and possibly more if not using a
fireplace and therefore losing more heat to the air.  And of course how
well-done you like your lamb; I believe it is generally cooked to be
slightly rare.  Larding with fat and spices is probably your best bet for
really altering the flavor once you start cooking the meat.  You might want
to roast the lamb close to high heat until the outside is seared, then lower
heat (or further away) to cook until done.
Break a (lamb) leg! :)

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!