[Sca-cooks] "Heart's Ease"

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Thu Apr 3 16:26:16 PST 2003

> I beg your pardon?  Which dance are you referring
> to?  Because the English Country Dance,
> "Heartsease", doesn't have any patterning that is
> in the shape of a flower, unless you are thinking
> of a dandelion that has been bent at right
> angles. :-)

Yes. The standard English Country Dance, as described in Playford 1651.

There are two parts, where one touches hands first with the opposite and
circles, then later with your partner and circles. There are two couples
doing this step. The pansy has four petals, each overlapping the other. It's
an imagination thing - I don't have much and can barely see it myself, but
my more artistic fellow dancers have no troubles.

> The name of the dance refers to the name of the
> music/song.  All of EC dances are named after
> their music and not the dances.  If that were so,
> then "Cuckolds All in a Row", would be a much
> more interesting dance. :-)

Cuckolds All Awry/Al in a row IS a partner-swapping dance!!!!!!

Each stanza is not danced with just your partner, but first with your
partner then your opposite (eg sidings left with parter, right with
opposite - armings similarly so). Gives us silly giggles when we dance it,
especially when we start flirting with the opposites - winking and carrying
on!

And don't even get me started on Jenny Pluck Pairs or parts of Newcastle - I
see the main reason that one the ladies/gents are put to the middle and the
other dances/ prances around is to check out the talent. We have a lovely
time with Jenny Pluck Pairs - the men caper like silly capering things,
showing off like no-one's business, and the girls dance quite demurely, but
nevertheless showing off their 'assets'.

Glenda
Playford Dancing-type person.