[Sca-cooks] Re: Eat like a King

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Apr 7 04:37:28 PDT 2003

Also sprach Terry Decker:
>  >Cornstarch was used to make (oops I can't remember how they phrased the
>>rest)perhaps for confections.
>
>Cornstarch appears to be a fairly modern thing.  If starch were called for
>in Henry's time, I would expect to see wheat starch or a fine rice flour.
>This is probably a modern adaptation.

This is an American production? If it were done in, or written by
someone from, the UK, I wonder if perhaps they said "cornflour",
which today may mean cornstarch (i.e. starch processed from maize) or
any other grain starch used similarly. Or are we talking specifically
of cornstarch-from-maize being used in the Americas?

Alternately, could some American be interpreting a statement made in
the dialect of the UK, about cornflour, as evidence of maize starch
use in period?

Adamantius