[Sca-cooks] Re: Eat like a King

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 7 04:15:56 PDT 2003

>I just got done watching.  It was very interesting.  Some of the things I
>said,  "Documentation please!"
>
>Turkeys were imported from Mexico in 1523.

True enough.  Cortez found turkeys in Mexico and imported them to Europe
where they replaced most of the large game birds.  The problem is Henry died
in 1547, leaving only a 24 year window.  What they apparently didn't provide
was evidence of turkeys being eaten in Henry's court.  High probability, but
short on evidence.

>Cornstarch was used to make (oops I can't remember how they phrased the
>rest)perhaps for confections.

Cornstarch appears to be a fairly modern thing.  If starch were called for
in Henry's time, I would expect to see wheat starch or a fine rice flour.
This is probably a modern adaptation.

>FYI, They used Alison Sim's book The Tudor Housewife
>
>and also a food historian  Ivan Day  gave a lot of info and one other
>person who's name I didn't catch.  BTW, the program will be on a lot more
>this month.
>Anyone else have any comments about it?
>
>         Angeline

Guess I'll have to tape it and see how many clinkers I can spot.

Bear