[Sca-cooks] Back in Business!

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 11:11:09 PDT 2003

>     I suspect this question has been answered before, but I can't find it,
>so I'll ask: how long does a can of almond paste keep?  Does it
>deteriorate more rapidly if the can has been opened, but not all used?
>Does it need to be refrigerated after opening?  Can it be frozen without
>affecting texture?  These are all questions about the paste before it's
>been kneaded with sugar to make marzipan (that *is* how it's done, isn't
>it?).  I'm not likely to use 7 pounds at once, should I ever try playing
>with it.
>
>Sandra

After opening a can of almond paste I have found it best to store it in good
freezer ziplock bags.  You can weigh it out into portions, putting a pound
(or whatever) in seperate smaller bags and then place the burped, sealed
smaller bags into a larger one, basically double bagging.  The paste can be
frozen for several months, perhaps up to a year, but I would really not know
having never kept it that long.
If you desire, you can do the same thing after you mix it with powdered
sugar and basically mixing up the marzipan.

You could choose to put the paste or marzipan in this double bag system and
elect to simply put it in the fridge.  It will keep that way for a couple of
months as long as it is airtight.  Add rosewater as needed for use rather
than adding the rose/orange water in the original mixing.  The marzipan mix
would only be the almond paste and sugar.  You can add colours at this stage
too.  That way you have several bags of premade colour.

Olwen