[Sca-cooks] Can coffee urns be used for cooking?

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Apr 8 05:40:22 PDT 2003

In a message dated 4/8/2003 12:21:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
doc at medievalcookery.com writes:

> Some recipes, like sauces, will take up stove space for preparation and
> need to be kept at safe temperatures until served.  Could a standard
> $30 electric coffee urn work for this?  How hot do they keep their
> contents?

Couldn't tell you about the heat, but don't ever try it with one that's had
coffee in it, or your sauce will taste like coffee.
I'd often wondered why tea made with hot water from one of those urns tasted
funny.  My husband tells me that it is due to the fact that the urn has had
coffee in it, and the flavor of the coffee leaches into the tea water.  I
believe he is correct; it's certaily possible to smell the coffee in even a
clean, dry, cool pot that's been used frequently.

Brangwayna