[SCA-cooks] Can coffee urns be used for cooking?

Jeanne Papanastasiou jeanne at atasteofcreole.com
Tue Apr 8 07:47:28 PDT 2003

Couldn't tell you about the heat, but don't ever try it with one that's had
coffee in it, or your sauce will taste like coffee.
I'd often wondered why tea made with hot water from one of those urns tasted
funny.  My husband tells me that it is due to the fact that the urn has had
coffee in it, and the flavor of the coffee leaches into the tea water.

No, that's not correct.  It's because the coffee pot/maker was NEVER
cleaned.  You put a cup of white vinegar, in maker, with a pot of fresh
water waiting, start maker so vinegar ONLY goes through line, then add fresh
water.  When pot is brewed, flush entire system with a 2nd of CLEAR clean
water.

As a restaurant Admin major (2nd degree) this is what we did for High Tea at
USL, Lafayette, LA and at several restaurants.  There will be NO coffee
taint.

You must also remember to wipe the TOP inside of cup.  Where water drips
into grounds.  Grounds splash up there and leave a residue.

At one Xmas revel we did use an old coffee can to warm Sake on an old Viking
stove.  It was okay until we hit the 3rd bottle and someone almost lost a
sleeve!

Soffya Appollonia Tudja
http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
three fleur-de-lys Or