[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #3335 - 13 msgs

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Apr 9 21:31:21 PDT 2003

At 10:45 PM 4/9/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Re: corsets
>
>   I own 2 corsets that date about 1860's(Civil War times).  After being
>strapped and squeezed into one for a week of reenactments there is no way I
>would want to wear on everyday.  There is an old saying among Civil War
>women "if you can breath it is not tight enough".  There is no way on earth
>I would want to be in a hot kitchen in a corset and all the layers.
>Mish (love_peaches at hotmail.com)

Just so you know, Mish, Civil War/Victorian corsets are *very different*
from Tudor/Elizabethan corsets! The shape, the angles of the boning, the
level of restriction are very different. And I'll betcha half a dozen women
on the list pop up and say "Yeah!" Tudor corsets provide support for your
body, and they provide something to have those big heavy skirts on. And
they do marvelous things for decolletage!

'Lainie
-who used to do Victorian stuff- now I do Late Gothic and love it! Hmm...
Gothic, Victorian... I wonder...