[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #3335 - 13 msgs

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Apr 10 05:42:17 PDT 2003

>    I own 2 corsets that date about 1860's(Civil War times).  After being
> strapped and squeezed into one for a week of reenactments there is no way I
> would want to wear on everyday.  There is an old saying among Civil War
> women "if you can breath it is not tight enough".

But the corsets of the 1860s are very different from Elizabethan corsets
in their function. Elizabethan corsets were not intended to compress the
waistline as much as to support the bust. They are not worn tightly enough
to rearrange the internal organs!

P.S. please clip your posts, you have the entire digest appended to this
post.

-- Jadwiga